Curried lentil soup with baked kuru chips. 21031725
There are many ways to use breadfruit in your cooking, and baked kuru chips with curried lentil soup is one of my favourites, writes Alana Fonmanu.
Red lentils is a main staple in my home, I love to always have it
on hand in my pantry so I can make this easy and simple dish whenever we feel
My family and I love breadfruit and we always grab the opportunity
of picking them as much as we can.
You can use breadfruit in so many ways like chips, boiled for
kinaki, as a potato substitute in potato salads, a base as a cheese sauce, a
kuru bake and so much more! So for those who have a breadfruit tree, grab those
breadfruits and get cooking!
1 whole green onion diced
5 cloves of garlic minced
1 to 2 thumbs of fresh ginger minced
1/4 tsp Pink Himalayan salt to taste
3 celery stalks
4 button mushrooms
2 large carrots
1 thumb of fresh turmeric or 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
1 pack of red lentils or 2 to 3 cups
1 cup of fresh coconut cream
½ cup of fresh coriander chopped
Coconut oil for frying
1. In a saucepan, heat your coconut oil and fry your onion until
they are soft and translucent
2. Then add your garlic and ginger until fragrant.
3. Next, add your veges and sauté for 5 mins.
4. Add your (washed and rinsed) red lentils and water (until
covered) and let it boil until the lentils are soft and most of the water is
5. Add your turmeric, salt, and mushrooms and stir
6. Once lentils are soft, add the coconut cream and fresh
7. TIP – lentils soak a lot of water so keep adding a little bit
of water gradually if needed while cooking.
½ breadfruit sliced
– (thick cuts)
Organic coconut oil – make sure its organic cold pressed to get
Nutritional yeast - optional
1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees or high heat
2. Add the dry mix, oil and sliced breadfruit to a bowl then mix
and toss well so they are evenly coated
3. Spread out the breadfruit pieces on a foil-lined baking tray
and bake for 18-20 minutes.