Resignation made no sense: Holmes

Friday February 17, 2017 Written by Published in League
Valentine Holmes, who is of Cook Islands descent, explains why he resigned from Cronulla Sharks. 17021508 Valentine Holmes, who is of Cook Islands descent, explains why he resigned from Cronulla Sharks. 17021508

Valentine Holmes has admitted how close he came to leaving Cronulla before realising how silly a move away from the NRL premiers would have looked.


Despite working out in front of NFL scouts in December, Holmes a fortnight ago re-signed with Cronulla on a two-year deal, keeping him in the NRL until the end of 2019.

Holmes, who is in Sydney nursing a hamstring issue while the rest of the team is in England for the World Club Challenge, said a shock exit from the Shire was a genuine possibility.

“It was very difficult. It took about four months to get the pen to paper. I pretty much left it to my manager and let him organise it all,” Holmes said.

“I didn’t think much to it, (but) I wanted to take the best option for myself and my family.

“It was pretty close. I was off-contract, others clubs were able to talk to me. In the end, we won a grand final with the Sharks, it’d look silly leaving a team that we won with.”

The 21-year-old is primed for a breakout year for the defending premiers as he attempts to fill the void left by former Dally M medallist Ben Barba at fullback following his move to rugby.

And he hasn’t given up hope of turning out in their season-opener against Brisbane, despite straining his hamstring in a trial against the Broncos two weeks ago.

“I did my first training session (on Wednesday) and it felt pretty cool,” he said.

“I’m not going to push it, but hopefully I get back for round one. If it’s not feeling 110 per cent, I’m not going to push it. It’s a long season. There’s plenty of games in the year.”

Holmes blamed the increased workload involved in acclimatising to the custodian role in pre-season as a major factor in his fitness concerns.

His fitness base was also low after only rejoining his club teammates in early January.

“I only got about four weeks under me. I started on the 7th of January. That’s what got to my hammy. It was a lot of high speed running, I wasn’t used to that,” he said.

“I did a lot of that at training and twinged my hammy a bit going into the game - that’s how I did it. It is a lot of running, you’ve got to be pretty fit and in defence.

“You’ve got to be able to be dominant in defence and control your forwards.”


Leave a comment