On Sunday Holmes signed the new two-year extension tying him to the Sharks for the next three years in a massive boost to the club ahead of the kick off to their NRL premiership defence.
After being a part of the Sharks first premiership winning team last year Holmes earned selection in the Kangaroos squad for the Four Nations Tour, before cementing a position in the Australian starting side and confirming his status as one of the most exceptional young talents in the game.
A regular fixture in the Sharks team since making his debut as an 18-year-old back in 2014, Holmes has gone on to score 38 tries in 57 NRL games, in what represents an outstanding strike rate.
Thrilled to have secured the new deal with the Sharks, Holmes was now looking forward to the start of the 2017 season and the prospect of becoming his teams’ first-choice fullback.
“It’s very exciting and good I was able to get it done before the start of the season,” Holmes said.
“We’re trying to keep the same team that won the premiership together, it’s a great bunch of guys, there are some good young blokes coming through and I’m really happy with the way we are going.
“As for playing fullback, I can’t wait to play there.”
Understandably, Sharks head coach Shane Flanagan was delighted that Holmes had agreed to extend his stay at the Sharks.
“Val is a representative standard player and someone destined for a long career in the NRL. It’s great for the club, our members and fans and for our corporate partners to know that he will be here for many years to come,” Flanagan said.
In 2016, Holmes equaled the long-standing club single-season try scoring record while playing on the wing, before going on to play four matches for the Kangaroos on the Four Nations Tour, one of those games being the final where Australia scored a comprehensive victory over the Kiwis.