Rape accused asked woman to clean blood from sheet

Friday November 22, 2019 Written by Published in Crime

A jury will be asked today to decide whether a man drugged and raped a woman at his home or whether, as he claims, they had consensual sex. 


A man accused of rape has taken the stand in his own defence, to deny plying a woman with drugs and alcohol then taking her home and raping her.

Justice Peter Woodhouse is to sum up the case at the High Court today, before sending out the 12-person jury. It’s been a stop-start trial due to a participant’s unforeseen medical problems.

Wilfred Dauvois is alleged to have had sexual intercourse with a 40-year-old woman without her consent. She told the court he put drugs in her beer, and that she was asleep when Dauvois forced himself on her.

Giving evidence yesterday, Dauvois said he took the woman to the Hula Bar around 8pm, had a few drinks, then drove her to Lunar Bar.

They went on to On The Rocks nightclub and stayed there until around 2am. He asked the victim if she wanted to go home and she replied she wanted to go with him.

He said the woman had been fine when they were drinking and had agreed to have sexual intercourse with him.

Dauvois said when they got to his home, she had entered the house and had stripped off her clothes.

He said they made love.

It was the next morning, Dauvois said, that he saw blood on the bed sheet. He asked the victim if she would take it with her to wash it.

He added that he took out the bed sheet, put it in a plastic bag and drove her home.

He said they spoke on the phone later in the day.

Under cross-examination by Crown prosecutor Kathy Bell, Dauvois acknowledged he and the victim were just friends – but that he wanted something more.

Bell said he called her twice on December 14, asking to pick her up and go into town together. She asked Dauvois if he had decided to have sexual intercourse with her – and he said yes.

But he said she wanted to have sex as well.

Defence counsel Norman George said the medical report showed no mark or evidence of violence.

Rape was a serious charge, where the victim was violated and traumatised, he said.

But this did not happen in this case, he said, and the victim took three or four days to file a complaint.

This meant there was no blood sample to show whether there were drug residues in the victim’s blood stream.



Leave a comment