More Top Stories

National

Final counting underway

10 August 2022

Local

The ride of their lives

8 August 2022

Sports
Culture
Opinion
Commonwealth Games
Culture
Environment
Local
Netball
Rugby Union
Editorials
Court
Local
Business
Soccer
Crime
Local

'Acting for change’

19 July 2022

Rugby Union

Landfill open to general public

Thursday 2 June 2022 | Written by Caleb Fotheringham | Published in Local, National

Share

Landfill open to general public
A bulldozer compacts the mountain of rubbish at the Cook Islands' landfill. Photo: Al Williams/19090428

Rarotonga’s landfill opened to the general public again on Wednesday after being closed for just over four months.

Previously the dump was just open to contractors.

Acting Senior Manager of Waste Management, Claytoncy Taurarii said the waste facility was closed to the general public due to Covid-19 restrictions, as a safety measure for staff at the facility.

Taurarii said the general public was made aware of the closure since January 28 this year.

Meanwhile in Parliament last week, Cook Islands Party MP Albert Nicholas said a landfill was not the best option the country had and other options were being looked at.

He said incineration was the preferred option in an assessment done about three years ago and that it could make a tonne of waste fit into a one litre bucket.

“Infrastructure Cook Islands is putting together a terms of reference for expressions of interest to businesses that may be interested in providing appropriate solutions to our landfill waste,” Nicholas said in Parliament.

Nicholas said he hoped for the funding to come from the Infrastructure Trust Fund or the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, which are both from New Zealand.