More Top Stories

Rugby Union

Bigger and busier 2023: PM

31 December 2022

Rugby league

Moana target 2025 World Cup

11 November 2022

Kiwi tourists convicted, fined following drunken incidents

Saturday 30 September 2023 | Written by Losirene Lacanivalu | Published in Court, National


Kiwi tourists convicted, fined  following drunken incidents
Parliament of the Cook Islands. Photo: SUPPLIED 23090623

Two Kiwi visitors have appeared in court and been ordered to pay fines on two separate matters involving the consumption of alcohol.

One was charged with damaging a Parliament House glass door, the other charged with assaulting two police officers.

They appeared before Justice of the Peace Tangi Taoro at the Criminal Court in Avarua on Thursday.

Max Jian Grant Fergusson pleaded guilty to the charges of wilful damage and being unlawfully found.

On September 24 at Nikao, Fergusson wilfully damaged the clear glass door of the Parliament property valued at $236.

Police prosecutor senior sergeant Fairoa Tararo said the crime was committed about midnight on September 24 on the east side of Parliament House.

He said Fergusson had been at Rehab that night, as he had been on-board the party bus.

JP Taoro said the main reason for offending was intoxication.

She said for wilful damage, he could face imprisonment for up to three years.

Fergusson was convicted and ordered to pay a fine of $335 to the court, $236 reparation for the wilful damage and $26.80 for the charge of unlawfully found.

He was further ordered to pay $100 ($50 for each charge) for court costs.

Fergusson was ordered to pay before his departure yesterday in order to retrieve his passport.   

For Caleb Kingi, JP Taoro said the defendant could have faced a hefty fine, up to $10,000 for assaulting two police officers.

Senior sergeant Tararo said the defendant was in the party bus with his parents and uncle the previous night.

Kingi was kicked off the party bus as he was arguing with the bus driver.  

Police were passing, and decided to stop and then drop the defendant to The Edgewater Resort.

Kingi sat in the back seat of the police vehicle with another officer.

He then grabbed the other officer, who was driving, causing a tear to the constable’s jumper, and then jumped out of the vehicle.

He was caught by the other officer, and then also tore the officer’s jumper, before he was placed on the ground and handcuffed.

Police made the arrest early on Thursday morning.

Kingi was convicted and ordered to pay $335 for each charge of assaulting a police officer and $20 for being drunk in a public place.

He was also ordered to pay a court cost of $50 for each charge.

Kingi was also told to pay the fine before departing on Monday. His passport would then be released.