More Top Stories

League

Nines in Paradise thrills

9 January 2024

League
Athletics
Athletics

The year in sports 2023

31 December 2023

Features

2023 year in review

31 December 2023

Economy
Rugby league

Moana target 2025 World Cup

11 November 2022

Assault accused fails bid for bail

Tuesday 30 January 2024 | Written by Al Williams | Published in Court, National

Share

Assault accused  fails bid for bail

A man charged with multiple assaults on a female has failed in his bid to be released from custody.

Judge Romeo Nee Nee faces four charges of assaulting a female and single charges of breaching a protection order, and assault with intent to injure.

Police had been instructed to oppose bail when he appeared in the Criminal Court on Thursday.

“He could reoffend,” police prosecutor senior sergeant Fairoa Tararo said.   

“He has four assault charges, assault with intent, a breach of protection order; there is no guarantee he will not reoffend.”

Tararo noted the penalty was quite serious and suggested the defendant seek legal advice.

He then confirmed the breach of protection order charge was the defendant’s second breach.

The defendant then asked to speak, saying it was his first breach, he had previously breached another protection order.

“I have a fulltime job, a one-year-old son, my mother is in court to support me; I need to get back to my job.”

Police confirmed it was a police safety order which had been breached.

Justice of the Peace Vania Kenning said it was a second breach of a protection order and the charges were serious.

Police had said the alleged victim feared for her life.

While the defendant had addressed the court in wanting to return to work to provide for his one-year-old son, JP Kenning remanded him in custody to February 8.

“Hopefully this time can provide relief for everyone,” JP Kenning said.