Editor's Picks

Pacific Islands

Drivers continue to flout rules

Wednesday 25 March 2020 | Written by Losirene Lacanivalu | Published in Crime


Drivers continue to flout rules
Driving under the influence of alcohol remains a serious problem on Rarotonga. 20032411

The court is heaving with drivers who continue to push the limits of police.

Three disqualified drivers caught using vehicles while on a 12-month disqualification and four driving under the influence of alcohol were charged and brought before the High Court last week.

They all appeared before Justice of the Peace Vania Kenning.

Ngatupuna Jessie, 19, was driving a motorcycle on March 12 admitted to the charge. Police caught Jessie when he was driving to Arorangi from town.

He had been sentenced to 12-months disqualification on January 23 this year.

He was convicted and ordered to pay a fine of $100 and $50 court cost. It was his first breach.

Simone McBirney appeared on November 21 last year for an EBA charge and was convicted.

On March 13 at 7.37am, McBirney was found driving a Honda Wave motorcycle. It was a first breach and Kenning convicted and ordered a fine of $100 and $50 court cost.

On March 17 Sohil Kissan was caught driving a motorcycle in Ngatangiia.

Kissan did not enter a plea and said he would be seeking legal advice. The matter has been adjourned to April 2.

Marcus Anderson appeared on two separate charges of driving related matters.

Anderson was charged with excess blood alcohol and with careless driving on February 21 at Atupa.

Anderson represented himself and pleaded guilty to the EBA charge but not guilty to careless driving.

He was advised to seek legal counsel as there would be a trial on the careless driving charge.

Police prosecutor, senior sergeant Tuaine Manavaro said both matters would be dealt with together.

Four EBA matters were also brought before Kenning at the High Court.

All persons charged have been disqualified from driving for 12-months and ordered to hand their driving licence to the High Court.

Sivam Narsilu was driving a motorcycle on March 13. Police prosecutor senior sergeant Fairoa Tararo said police received information of a crash at the Atupa backroad.

He said the defendant and a co-defendant were involved in the crash.

A breathalyser test gave a result of 960mcg. When questioned Narsilu said he could not remember anything and did not recall how much he consumed.

Tararo said it was not Narsilu’s first time before the court, it had been his second EBA charge.

Kenning convicted and sentenced Narsilu to pay a fine of $500 and $50 court cost.

On March 13, Teura-O-Teipo Nikoia was caught driving a motor vehicle in Ruatonga while over the alcohol limit when he was stopped at a police checkpoint.

He was convicted and sentenced to pay a fine of $400 and $50 court cost.

Ngametua Iu was stopped by police on March 17 at a police check point.

He was breath tested with a result of 620mcg.

The 18-year-old was convicted and ordered to pay a fine of $300 and $50 court cost.

Mohammed Kaiyum on March 13 was driving a motor vehicle at the Atupa backroad when police caught him, and a breathalyser test was conducted.

He admitted to drinking six cans of beer.

Police prosecutor senior sergeant Tuaine Manavaroa said this was Kaiyum’s first charge and first appearance in court.

He was convicted and fined $250 and $50 court cost.