Thursday 1 September 2022 | Written by Melina Etches | Published in
To Tatou Vai (TTV) spokesperson Walter Tuarae-White said one of the main reasons that a water station would have a ‘not safe to drink’ notice posted is because the power to the unit was switched off, possibly to save power in the community building.
He said TTV takes its role to provide safe drinking water to the Rarotonga community seriously, and the agency does not have tolerance for E.coli (Escherichia coli) in the water from the community stations they maintain around Rarotonga.
“We ensure the water stations are operated safely,” he said.
“Checks, tests and servicing is undertaken by our team on a weekly basis to ensure that the water is fit for human consumption.”
Each water station has a sign posted to notify the community if the water is safe to drink.
The water stations have a series of three filters down to a 1micron filter (E.coli are larger than 1micron) followed by UV light sterilization, therefore the water must test below 1 E.coli to be deemed safe to be consumed, explained Tuarae-White.
To Tatou Vai advises consumers to take water directly from the taps at the station as any attached hoses can grow algae on the inside.
If the water is not safe enough to drink a notice will be posted at the station immediately to advise consumers.
There are 18 community water stations on Rarotonga and one at the Corrective Services center in Arorangi.
People are encouraged to refill water bottles at the TTV managed UV water stations around the island which are located as follows: Arorangi - Aroa Nui Hall, Rutaki Meeting House, Kavera Meeting House; Nikao - Nikao Tennis Court, Pokoinu Hall, Rangiura Meeting House; Takuvaine - AOG (Assembly of God) Church; Avatiu - Avatiu Meeting House, Ruatonga Meeting House (opposite Punanga Nui Market); Tupapa - O’oa Water Station, Tupapa Meeting House (George Maggie); Matavera - CICC Sunday School Hall, Matavera Back Road (Mama Mo’s); Ngatangiia - Turangi Water Station, Muri Meeting House; Titikaveka - Enua Manea Hall, Papaaroa Hall, and Vaimaanga Meeting House (opposite Wigmore’s Store).
E.coli is bacteria that is commonly found in the lower intestine of humans and warm-blooded organisms. Most E.coli strains are harmless, but some can cause serious food poisoning.
Ruth Mave on 01/09/2022
Put in a solar panel to keep it turned on. Who pays for the electricity it should be govt.