More Top Stories


Bigger and busier 2023: PM

31 December 2022

Other Sports

Double gold for Darts

21 January 2023


Covid-19 cases stable: TMO

10 January 2023


Population policy endorsed

10 January 2023


PM Brown vows to change law

23 January 2023

Rugby league

Moana target 2025 World Cup

11 November 2022


We’re halfway there!

16 November 2022


From the river to the ocean

18 November 2022

Bus crash yet to be processed

Saturday 7 January 2023 | Written by Losirene Lacanivalu | Published in Crime, National


Bus crash yet to be processed
A bus carrying Rarotonga International Airport bound passengers crashed into a tree sending the bus on to it side. POLICE MEDIA

A tourist bus crash that occurred on Rarotonga in late December is still being processed by the police.

However, Cook Islands News understands that one of the drivers has been charged, and is expected to appear in court next week

Two vehicles were involved in the incident and one of the drivers is yet to be identified.

The bus was carrying seven passengers who were visitors – five people from one hotel, and two from another – when it crashed on its side on December 28, 2022.

At the time of the accident, police said the Raro Tours bus driver reported having swerved to avoid a reversing vehicle near Vaiana’s Bar & Bistro in Nikao. The bus then hit a parked motorcycle and a tree and crashed on its side.

Read more: ‘Narrow escape’: Tourist bus crashes with eight on board

The bus was heading to the Rarotonga International Airport when the incident occurred.

Police spokesperson Trevor Pitt said the crash process also involved a summons.

Without revealing if any of the drivers were being charged, Pitt said aspects being finalised also included costs for reparations and medical updates.

It was earlier reported that two people were taken to hospital for minor injuries while another passenger – a male – suffered cuts to his hands.

Preliminary investigations revealed the driver of the reversing vehicle did not see anything and drove off.

The bus driver said it all happened suddenly.