More Top Stories

National
Rugby league

Moana target 2025 World Cup

11 November 2022

Business

Moment of truth at COP27

12 November 2022

Local

We’re halfway there!

16 November 2022

Paddling

From the river to the ocean

18 November 2022

Papua New Guinea confirms third Covid case

Thursday 16 April 2020 | Written by Legacy Author | Published in Small World

Share

The office controlling Papua New Guinea's pandemic response went into lockdown today after the country's third confirmed Covid-19 case was announced.

PNG's Emergency Controller, Police Commissioner David Manning, informed staff at the National Operations Centre in Port Moresby that a case of covid-19 had been identified and that the person had worked there.

Manning issued a release saying a frontline responder attached with the Joint Agency Task Force has tested positive for covid-19, and has since been isolated and quarantined.

As a consequence, the Operations Centre at Morauta Haus in Waigani has been "locked down" so that testing of all staff can be carried out. "I call upon the people of NCD, Central and PNG to remain calm. We have identified a positive case," the Emergency Controller said.

READ MORE:
*
One big bubble: Loosening Covid constraints
* Derek Fox: Saving lives with soap and water
* Quarantine Quiz: Chips, ships and planes

He said that contact tracing in relation to the case was underway for all people who have come into contact with the person who tested positive.

"Everyone should continue to practice the safety and health messages that we have been sending out and that is to keep safe physical distancing, cough into your elbow, do not touch your face, mouth or eyes and please stay at home.

"Stay at home if you have no reason to move around," Mr Manning advised.