More Top Stories

Court
Education
Editor's Pick

TB cases detected

1 June 2024

Sports
Court

Alleged rapist in remand

27 April 2024

National
Rugby league

Moana target 2025 World Cup

11 November 2022

Stop-the-boats policy condemned

Thursday 11 August 2016 | Published in Regional

Share

AUSTRALIA - Two United Nations agencies and dozens of human rights, legal, religious and medical groups have demanded the Australian government put a stop to the suffering of asylum seekers and refugees in its offshore processing regime, following the publication of the Nauru files.

The Australian government faces widespread condemnation after the Guardian revealed thousands of leaked documents from inside its detention centre on the Pacific island of Nauru, covering a period of more than two years.

The documents, part of the largest ever leak from inside the Australian-run regime, included incident reports detailing countless instances and allegations of abuse and trauma, often perpetrated by or involving detention centre staff.

The UN high commissioner for refugees said it was “gravely concerned” by the allegations raised and said all refugees and asylum seekers should be moved off Nauru “to humane conditions”.

“The documents released are broadly consistent with UNHCR’s longstanding and continuing concerns regarding mental health, as well as overall conditions for refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru,” it said.

“UNHCR has observed and reported a progressive deterioration of the situation of refugees and asylum seekers on Nauru through its regular visits since 2012.”

In the wake of the publication of the Nauru files, the UNHCR said permanent and humane solutions for Nauru’s asylum seeker and refugee populations were needed urgently.

“Delays in immediate action to rectify the current situation are exacerbating human suffering and causing ongoing deterioration.”

A group of 26 former Save the Children staff released a statement on Wednesday afternoon to say they were the authors of many of the reports but the leaked cache was just “the tip of the iceberg”.

Amnesty International’s senior director for research Anna Neistat, who went undercover last month to investigate the centre, said the Guardian’s report “laid bare a system of ‘routine dysfunction and cruelty’ that is at once dizzying in its scale and utterly damning for the Australian authorities who tried so hard to maintain a veil of secrecy”.

“The Australian government has engaged in one of the most successful mass cover-ups I’ve witnessed in my career of documenting human rights violations,” said Neistat. “They’ve repeatedly said this kind of abuse has not been going on. They’ve been lying.”

The Australian Medical Association (AMA) called for the establishment of an investigative body, entirely independent of government, to immediately assess the health and living conditions of every person in offshore detention.

“These disturbing reports echo long-held concerns by the AMA about the lack of proper physical and mental health care being provided to people in immigration detention,” said the peak body’s president, Dr Michael Gannon.

The Australian Lawyers Alliance called for Comcare, the federal workplace regulator, to investigate and prosecute for the abuses under the Work Health and Safety Act, which a spokesman, Greg Barnes, said applied to anyone in a workplace, not just employees.

A number of people and organisations, including activist group GetUp and the Australian churches refugee taskforce, called for the establishment of a Royal Commission, the country’s most powerful form of inquiry.

Hugh de Kretser, the executive director of the Human Rights Law Centre, told Guardian Australia: “Nothing excuses the failure to act. There is a real hypocrisy in the fact we have two royal commissions currently afoot – one into institutional child sexual abuse and another into youth detention centres – and yet at the very same time we’re warehousing children on Nauru in conditions that allow this kind of abuse to thrive.”

The Australian Council for International Development and the Australian Council of Social Service said the current Royal Commission into institutional responses to child sexual abuse should immediately examine incidents and allegations raised in the Nauru files.

Unicef said the Nauru files were further evidence that the island nation was not a suitable place to resettle refugee children, and called on the Australian government to find a permanent resettlement solution for families.

“The Australian government must take immediate action for children and their families to prevent further harm,” Nicole Breeze, director of policy and advocacy at Unicef Australia, said, adding that Australia should also do more to assist with resettling refugees from across the region and around the world.

Other advocacy groups called for the immediate transfer of the 48 children believed to still be living on Nauru.

The End Child Detention Coalition called for the government to legislate time limits to getting juveniles out of detention and into community situations.

“Even short periods of detention are incredibly harmful for children, with extremely high rates of depression and unaddressed trauma exacerbated by detention,” said the chair of the group, Leeanne Torpey.

The Australian human rights commissioner, Gillian Triggs, responded to the report by urging the Australian public to “speak out and talk up”.

“We really need the public’s attention to ensure that our politicians change the policy,” she said.

The Greens partyhas also called for a Royal Commission into conditions in detention as a matter of urgency.

Greens immigration spokeswoman, Sarah Hanson-Young, said the government could not claim ignorance of “institutionalised child abuse, taxpayer-funded sexual assault” of women in Nauru.

“This is not new information to current immigration minister Peter Dutton. It’s not new information for Scott Morrison, and I don’t believe it’s new information for Malcolm Turnbull,” she said.

“The sad truth is the government knowingly turned a blind eye to collateral damage for their stop-the-boats policy.”

- Guardian/PNC