Wednesday 24 June 2015 | Published in Regional
Batsiua is on bail after taking part in the protests over the suspension of several opposition MPs from parliament more than a year ago.
He says several dozen people have been sacked and even people who were not protesting but believed to be sympathetic to the demonstrations have lost their jobs.
Batsiua says it is part of continued quashing of dissent by the Nauru government.
“Today there is an air of intimidation. People are afraid for their jobs. People who have participated in the process have been instantly dismissed without any explanation or without any due process for them to reply and defend themselves.”
Local businessman Lockley Denuga says he has heard of three or four dismissals each in the past week from government entities including Nauru Fisheries, the Regional Processing Centre, RONphos and the boat harbour as well as about 15 people from the Menen Hotel.
The Nauru government earlier said the opposition is trying to score political points out of last week’s protest which it says was a blatant criminal act in which ten police officers were hurt.
It says it makes no apology for upholding law and order when its people are in danger and will continue to do everything it can to ensure such violence doesn’t happen again.