More Top Stories


Bigger and busier 2023: PM

31 December 2022

Other Sports

Double gold for Darts

21 January 2023


Population policy endorsed

10 January 2023


PM Brown vows to change law

23 January 2023

Rugby league

Moana target 2025 World Cup

11 November 2022


We’re halfway there!

16 November 2022


From the river to the ocean

18 November 2022

Avatea, Arorangi take the honours

Friday 23 March 2012 | Published in Regional


The Avatea senior boys football side posted a 3-1 win over combined school Te Uki Ou/Imanuela in the final of the 2012 Senior Primary School Round Robin Tournament.

First time winner Arorangi senior girls claimed the 2012 Senior Girl’s trophy after defeating two time champions Avarua 3-2 in an exciting match.

The final game in the senior boys saw Avatea head into a much awaited clash against the combined Te Uki Ou/Imanuela side and wasted no time by scoring three quick unanswered goals much to the surprise of the Te Uki Ou/Imanuela players in the first half.

In the second spell of the game Te Uki Ou/Imanuela managed to score two goals to move closer to Avatea but Avatea slotted through another goal to further their lead by four goals to two.

Time had run out for Te Uki Ou/Imanuela who tried to add another goal and with that Avatea celebrated their first time win and crowning as champions for the 2012 Senior Primary School Football Tournament.

“We worked hard against Te Uki Ou/Imanuela in our game and we wanted the win and finally we got it,” Avatea captain Michael said.

“I would like to thank Te Uki Ou/Imanuela for a good game and to my team mates for a great win,” he said.

In the senior girls category, the confident Avarua side proved their dominance against their opponents Arorangi by scoring early in the first half.

With 10 minutes of playing remaining Arorangi levelled the score-line at one goal apiece by the half time whistle.

Avarua quickly slotted through another goal after five minutes of the second half whistle sounded much to the cheers of their teachers and supporters, however it was short lived with 15 minutes of play remaining when Arorangi levelled the score with two a goals apiece.

Both sides tried tirelessly to score the winning goal, pounding everything they had at their defences. Avarua came close to wrapping up the game when a cross from the right corner landed in front of an Avarua player with no one in front of the goal, but an unbalanced kick saw the ball fly away from the goal much to the relief of the Arorangi supporters.

As the players scrambled for the ball in the Avarua goal area, Arorangi managed to slip the ball past the Avarua goal keeper and the players and supporters erupted in cheers.

When final whistle sounded Arorangi was still celebrating with high fives and their win against giants Avarua.

“I would like to thank our teacher for encouraging us throughout the tournament,” Tekura, captain of the Arorangi girl’s team, said.

“Big ups to my teammates. We played really well for this win and thank you Avarua for a good final.”

In the other matches played, third placing was snatched up by Avatea in the girls division with a win over Nikao 2-1 while Arorangi took the third place trophy over Avarua in close game which ended in a penalty shoot-out after the final score was two goals each and Arorangi winning the shoot-out by 11-10 over Avarua.

Results: Boys - Nikao 3 def Papaaroa 1 (fifth v sixth); Arorangi 11 def Avarua 10 (third v fourth); Avatea 4 def Te Uki Ou/Imanuela 2 (first v second). Girls - Titikaveka 2 def Nukutere 0 (fifth v sixth); Avatea 2 def Nikao 1 (third v fourth); Arorangi 3 def Avarua 2 (first v second).