Father faces serious charges

Friday 16 October 2020 | Written by Losirene Lacanivalu | Published in Crime, National

Share

Rene James Hand will remain in custody at Arorangi Prison after being arrested on more serious charges including attempted murder.

Hand, who has been charged with wilfully damaging a car in the early morning of July 19 this year, also faces charges of two counts of assault on a female and one count of injuring with intent. He had been in custody since July, but was granted bail late last month. However, the 38-year-old was again taken into custody due to the serious nature of the charges he is now facing. Hand is further charged with arson, attempted murder and threatening to kill. Defence counsel Keykore Ahsin told Justice of the Peace Bernice Manarangi that he has had discussions with Crown Law and the case will go before a judge. Crown Law’s Kathy Bell said they hoped that by the end of next week they would know when they would be getting a judge or the judiciary to Rarotonga - they were also trying to facilitate a senior counsel. Bell said they would then know when the appropriate pleas would be taken as these are serious charges. She requested that the matter be called before a Justice of the Peace every fortnight for a call over and the defendant can be excused. But Ahsin said his client wished to be present at every call over. Justice of the Peace Manarangi adjourned the matter to November 5. A health report (of the defendant) was acknowledged by the court in September where JP Carmen Temata said the report was done by a professional and the court accepted the content.