More Top Stories

Culture
Regional
Rugby league
Local
Pacific Islands

Pacific news in brief

12 August 2022

Court
National

Competitor at heart

11 August 2022

National

Final counting underway

10 August 2022

Local

The ride of their lives

8 August 2022

Sports
Culture
Opinion
Commonwealth Games
Culture
Environment
Local
Netball
Rugby Union

Defendant ready to enter plea this month

Tuesday 1 February 2022 | Written by Al Williams | Published in Court, National

Share

Defendant ready to enter plea this month
Photo: Supplied

A woman who worked under the former director of the National Environment Service (NES), Nga Puna and facing multiple counts of theft as a servant is set to enter a plea this month.

It comes more than three months after her first appearance when her lawyer Mark Short sought name suppression.

That name suppression order continues after her case was called in the Criminal Court on Friday.

Short said he had been dealing with her former employer, who along with the Public Services Commission, were continuing to investigate the matter.

Short said his client was ready to enter a guilty plea.

Chief Justice Sir Hugh Williams adjourned the matter to February 18.   

The defendant is on bail with the conditions that she cannot leave the country without the permission of the High Court, she is not to associate with any witnesses, and needs to surrender her passport to the High Court.