The Covid-19 pandemic has health workers worldwide and on the island in preparation mode.
Bob is comfortable with her job and is confident together with the rest of the team, they will continue to provide the best service they can.
“The job is good and it’s okay, but I’m worried and nervous about the virus, please don’t get it here,” she said.
Bob has visited patients who need advice and to organise delivery of medical prescriptions.
She believes if people continue to listen to the advice, directions and awareness programmes by the Te Marae Ora Cook Islands Ministry of Health, there shouldn’t be a panic if the worst does appear.
“We need to just listen,” Bob said.
“I know it’s hard for people to have to stay home, but it’s hard for all of us, we need to do this for everyone, our kids and especially our elderly who are vulnerable.”
Volunteers are also needed, if you have not registered yourself or your family, please contact the centre in your village for more information.
The Puna Hotline 0800 + number is a free call.
The ten puna centres in Rarotonga are as follows:
- Akaoa: 0800 1808. Located at the (Old) Bunny’s diner. Chairman is Teremoana Ngatokorua on 51661, coordinator is Pare Rongokea on 80600.
- Ruaau: 0800 1807. Based at the Infrastructure Cook Islands board room. Chairman Vaipo Mataora.
- Murienua: 0800 1809. Located at the Kavera meeting house, hours are 8.30am.
- Titikaveka: 0800 1810. The centre is based at the Teimorimotua Fire Station. The districts are Tikioki Tapere - Papa Ben’s towards the Catholic Church; Akapuao Tapere - Catholic Church towards Ngakoa Meeting House; NgaTapere - Ngakoa Meeting house toward John and Mary Wigmore’s (just before the Queen’s Representatives); Turoa Tapere just before the Queen’s Representatives towards YWAM; Vaimaanga Tapere - YWAM towards the Jehovah Witness Church. Titikaveka coordinator Alistair (Ali) Macquarie on 55999.
- Ngatangiia: 0800 1812. The centre is located at the Muri Meeting House. Chairman Ina Tararo, assistant Paul Maoate. Contact Maru Mariri-Tepou on 55161 or Dallas Young on 79545.
- Matavera: 0800 1813. The centre is based at the Matavera No 1 clinic next to the CICC Gideona Hall. Current hours are Monday – Saturday from 8am, Sunday on remote with mobile and email contacts. Chairman/coordinator Takapi Kora on 73928, assistant Tukurangi Hosking Jnr on 51102 and secretary Tauepa Tutakiao-Tupa on 55958.
- Nikao/Panama: 0800 1806. Includes the districts of Pokoinu, Tepuka, Rangiura and Panama/Turama. People to contact are Walter Tangata for Pokoinu on 55488, Bruce Manuela for Tepuka on 54521, John Teaurima for Rangiura on 70425 and Albert Hosking for Turama on 51590. The centre is based at Minister Mokoroa’s office in Avarua.
- RAPA (Ruatonga, Avatiu, Panama, Atupa): 0800 1805. Location is at the Ruatonga Meeting House. Team leader is Terry Utanga on 54620, secretary is Apii Pakitoa ph 55507 and coordinator is Myra Patai on 53356.