Stranding investigated

Monday January 25, 2016 Written by Published in Local

The Ministry of Transport has begun an investigation into the cause of the stranding of the longliner Wairau which went aground early on Tuesday morning last week.

 

Ministry of Transport Maritime director Stephen Simpson said he had just begun the investigation and still had several people to interview about the incident.

He said he did not want to make any comments until the investigation is completed.

Before that, a summary report of his investigation would be given to Bill Doherty and the skipper of the vessel to make sure all information was correct.

The report would be given to the Minister of Transport, Prime Minister Henry Puna, who would decide what action should be taken.

A T&M Heather excavator and other machinery freed the boat from the reef with the assistance of the Cook Islands Towage tug boat Tiro on Wednesday afternoon.

There were five crew members aboard the ship when it ran aground sometime early on Tuesday morning.            

Leave a comment