Travel ban hits Raro workers

Saturday February 29, 2020 Written by Published in Health
Expat workers Mark Serito and Rodolfo Cadiz at Auckland Airport yesterday, preparing to board a flight to the Philippines. 20022885 Expat workers Mark Serito and Rodolfo Cadiz at Auckland Airport yesterday, preparing to board a flight to the Philippines. 20022885

Local designer Mark Serito and a workmate were made to board a flight back to the Philippines last night.

 

It comes after Cook Islands placed a coronavirus-related travel ban on travellers from the Philippines and 15 other countries.

Serito was already airborne to Auckland, on his way back to his partner May and their young son in Rarotonga, when the ban was announced. He was travelling with another expat worker, Rodolfo Cadiz. The two work for Island Craft.

The duo, who held transit visas for New Zealand, were barred from boarding the plane to Rarotonga.

Serito said Island Craft came to their rescue and paid their return fare to Philippines.

“I miss my family, especially my son Mark who I haven’t seen for a month, and I miss my job too,” he said. “We are not sure how long it will take for the ban to be lifted. We thank our company Island Craft for paying the return ticket.”

Island Craft owner Fletcher Melvin said the two had been returning to Cook Islands after a six-week summer break.

“We paid for their return so it has cost us a lot of money now,” Melvin said. “And we don’t know what we will do without two of our workers, especially when there are a lot of orders to get through.”

2 comments

  • Comment Link Chris Monday, 02 March 2020 16:40 posted by Chris

    Good cooks dont have the facility's or medication to deal with the virus.

  • Comment Link For safety of the people ,Good for the of Rarotonga,Cook Island Saturday, 29 February 2020 16:10 posted by For safety of the people ,Good for the of Rarotonga,Cook Island

    Message

Leave a comment