Akaoa land still used for rubbish

Tuesday June 19, 2018 Written by Published in Environment
The Akaoa No 1 Road site as it looked last week. Though there was comparatively little rubbish, there was no evidence that conditions imposed on the owner to clean up the site had been met. The Akaoa No 1 Road site as it looked last week. Though there was comparatively little rubbish, there was no evidence that conditions imposed on the owner to clean up the site had been met.

Two months after the National Environment Service has ordered the owner of an Akaoa property to stop dumping and stockpiling waste on a large area of land near the back road, rubbish is still accumulating there.

 

When CINews revisited the site last week, there was a much smaller amount of rubbish piled up than there had been in April, when foul-smelling household waste and other items were spread over a large area.

In mid-April NES officers spoke to the owner of the property after being sent a photo of the rubbish. Director Joseph Brider told CINews in an email that the owner had been told to quit using the land for dumping, disposing, stockpiling and burning waste and would have to rehabilitate the site through the removal of non-biodegradable waste.

He added that the owner would also be told to restrict public access to the site and erect signage informing the public that dumping of waste at the site was prohibited. Brider added that the NES and Public Health staff had investigated the property and would be issuing the owner with closure notices.

“The NES with Public Health will continue to monitor this site to ensure the conditions of the closure notices are met,”

However, in the two months that have gone by since then, little appears to have been done to restrict access to the site, which CINews understands has been used as an unofficial dump for a number of years.

Alerted last week to the fact that NES orders seemed to have been ignored, Brider told CINews he would follow it up with his officers.

“The reports that were provided to me (previously) from the officers suggested that work was underway,” he said.

In a subsequent email, Brider confirmed that new rubbish had in fact been dumped on the site and that NES was investigating.

“It appears that a landowner who resides in New Zealand was recently here and consented to the dumping of the rubbish,” Brider said.

“The contractors involved in the previous dumping were not involved in this recent one. NES is working with the contractors and neighbours to identify the New Zealand-based landowner and make contact with them.”

NES had relegated the land back to a “priority” monitoring site, Brider said.

Leave a comment