NES officers visited the property last week after being alerted to the fact that a large pile of rubbish, including plastic and rubber and household waste had been seen and photographed on the land last Saturday. It had subsequently been buried. The rubbish was spread over a wide area, was emitting a foul smell and clearly constituted a health hazard.
The waste was piled on the same site where a large number of books from Apii Nikao were controversially dumped last year after Ministry of Education instructions were said to have been “misinterpreted”. CINews understands the land has been used to dispose of rubbish for some time.
Director Joseph Brider said the NES and Public Health Department staff had investigated the property and would be issuing the owner with closure notices.
Brider said the owner would be required to cease using the property to dump, dispose, stockpile and burn waste and would have to rehabilitate the site through the removal of non-biodegradable waste.
The owner would also be asked to restrict public access to the site and erect signage informing the public that dumping of waste at the site was prohibited, he added.
“The NES with Public Health will continue to monitor this site to ensure the conditions of the closure notices are met,” Brider said.