Man facing ‘violence Charge’ granted bail

Saturday September 26, 2020 Written by Published in Crime

A man who has been in police custody for two months was granted bail by the High Court.

Rene James Hand was taken into custody and has been denied bail since July 23 for allegedly assaulting a woman in the early morning of July 19.

Hand, 38, is also alleged to have wilfully damaged a car.

Yesterday, defence lawyer Keykore Ahsin made a bail application for his client on the grounds that Hand poses no threat to himself or the victim.

Ahsin said the victim was also under a temporary protection order meaning Hand would have no direct contact with the victim.

He said his client’s time in custody helped him reflect on his actions.

Police prosecutor senior sergeant Tuaine Manavaroa did not object to bail and said the protection order for the victim was sufficient.

Manavaroa, however, told Justice of the Peace Carmen Temata that the offence committed by Hand was alcohol related so there needed to be conditions imposed where the accused was not to consume alcohol.

In an earlier appearance senior prosecutor senior sergeant Fairoa Tararo said this was Hand’s third appearance on a violence charge.

Tararo said Hand was psychiatrically evaluated previously, but it was fair to have a further assessment done, focusing on his mental stability and any bail application would depend on the outcome of that assessment.

On Thursday, a health report was acknowledged by the court and JP Temata further acknowledged that the report was done by a professional and the court accepted the content.

Hand was granted bail on the condition he does not purchase or consume alcohol and he does not enter any liquor license premises including bar and night clubs.

The case has been adjourned to October 15.

Leave a comment