Domestic assault accused in cells

Saturday August 01, 2020 Written by Published in Crime

A man accused of an early-morning domestic assault has been further remanded behind bars.

Police asked that Rene Hand be kept in custody, after he allegedly to have assaulted a woman in the early morning of July 19, and wilfully damaged a car.

The police prosecutor also asked the court to order a psychiatric assessment for the 38-year-old.

Hand had already been in custody for more than a week; he was again denied bail by Justice of the Peace Carmen Temata.

Police prosecutor Senior Sergeant Fairoa Tararo had earlier said this was Hand’s third appearance on a violent charge.

Hand continued to be a risk to the victim and those associated with her, and the community as a whole.

“There is no guarantee that he will abide to the conditions of the court. The court is aware of his prior history.”

Tararo said Hand was psychiatrically evaluated previously, but it was fair to have a further assessment done, focusing on his mental stability.

Any bail application would depend on the outcome of that assessment.

Defence lawyer Keykore Ahsin agreed, after speaking to his client.

JP Temata ordered a psychiatric assessment to be sorted by the court and adjourned the matter to August 20.

Leave a comment