Fugitive is denied bail

Thursday July 23, 2020 Written by Published in Crime

Rene Hand, who evaded arrest for allegedly assaulting a woman, was refused bail by the High Court yesterday.

Hand, 38, was asked by police to come forward for questioning after an incident early Sunday morning. He was located and apprehended in Arorangi on Monday night.

Hand is alleged to have assaulted a woman in a domestic incident, and wilfully damaged a car in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Defence counsel Wilkie Rasmussen said he had acted for Hand last year on a minor altercation case.

He said police had written something about his client on their social media and this was also published by the media, he urged the Court not to focus on the publications of Hand’s case.

He said there has been ongoing tension between the accused and the victim and the two have also had opportunities for reconciliation and they have done so.

He asked the court for bail on the conditions that Hand reside with his sister and said that an order can be made by the court for Hand not to associate himself with the victim or those associated with the victim.

Rasmussen said it was a manageable matter.

Police prosecutor senior sergeant Fairoa Tararo objected to bail informing Justice of the Peace Vania Kenning that this was Hand’s third appearance for a violent charge.

Sgt Tararo said the charges against Hand are serious and bailing him would be a risk considering the safety of the victim and for himself (Hand) as well.

He asked the Court to keep the accused in custody for another two weeks.

JP Kenning agreed with prosecution and said that due to the nature of the offence and the history of the case bail was denied.

She adjourned the matter to July 30.

Leave a comment