Two people were arrested on Friday in relation to assaults. One of those arrested had allegedly assaulted a child. Another was charged with assaulting a female, causing wilful damage, and assaulting a police officer. The man appeared in the Cook Islands High Court on Saturday and was remanded in custody. He will reappear on June 21.
A third person was also charged with assault on the weekend, after being arrested in the early hours of Sunday morning. A police statement said the man had struck a woman on the head.
“Domestic violence has no place in any society and the bashing of women is a criminal act in which there can be no excuses,” a Cook Islands Police Service spokesman said.
“These assaults, particularly by men against their partners, are continuing and the police will prosecute such offences under the ‘no drop’ policy.”
On Friday a local resident was charged with excess breath alcohol and careless driving. A police statement said the alleged offender’s breath alcohol reading was nearly double the legal limit. On Sunday morning, a man was also charged with excess breath alcohol. He was allegedly more than one and half times over the legal limit.
Police also arrested a man on Friday who had failed to appear in the Cook Islands High Court the previous day. The man is charged with dangerous driving.
He was placed in the police cells and subsequently bailed to appear in court later this week.
On Sunday, a man was arrested for driving whilst disqualified and also refusing to be tested for alcohol.
There were also a number of burglaries over the weekend. On Saturday, police received a report of a theft of a handbag in Nikao. Cash and a passport were among the missing items. On Sunday, police received another report of a burglary at Matavera. The stolen bag was later found with cash and a passport missing. A car was broken into on Monday with a laptop being taken, alongside other items.
Finally, a 32-year-old man was arrested on Friday and charged with forgery after a box of ammunition was seized by the police. According to a police statement, the container had been brought into the country by another person roughly two weeks ago.
“There will be no tolerance of any abuse of the authorisation over firearms and ammunition as the safety and security of the community is of the utmost concern,” said Police Commissioner Maara Tetava.
The man was released on bail with conditions and will reappear on June 21.