Drunk drivers a continuing problem

Monday April 11, 2016 Written by Published in Crime

Drivers are still failing to heed police warnings about drink-driving.

 

And the Cook Islands Police Service says drinking and driving will not be tolerated as they continue to focus on all aspects of road safety.

A police report issued on Sunday said alcohol, speed and bad driving were still responsible for many of the accidents on Rarotonga roads. 

Police are continuing to run check points and conduct excess breath alcohol testing at random locations around the island and are urging people to use alternative transportation if they wish to drink alcohol.  

Seven locals and three visitors will appear in the Cook Islands High Court this week charged with driving offences.

On Saturday night a 43 year old male from Matavera was arrested for driving while disqualified and placed in police custody. On the same night, a 37 year old male was arrested for driving with excess blood alcohol and was also bailed.

A 42 year old male person was arrested for refusing to undergo evidential breathalyser process and was bailed to appear in court on Thursday.  

On Sunday a 31 year old male was arrested in the early hours for driving with excess breath alcohol and a 29 year old was also arrested in the early hours for the same offence.

Police are also investigating two accidents. The first involved a male motorcyclist at the airport exit at Nikao on Saturday. The driver got into loose gravel, fell off his bike and was injured, requiring hospital treatment.

On the same day a second motor vehicle crash was reported at the Ngatipa store intersection at Tupapa involving two vehicles. A jeep driven by a 46 year old female failed to stop at a stop sign and hit a 27 year old woman on a motorcycle. No injuries were reported.

The alleged theft of a jewellery box at a hotel was reported to police at 12.24pm on Sunday,  but checks revealed the jewellery box had been placed in a safe.

An intoxicated 20 year old male was arrested early on the morning of Friday, April 9 after being found sleeping in a private residence at Arorangi.

He appeared at the High Court on the same morning on charge of being unlawfully found. He pleaded guilty and was ordered to appear for sentencing in six months if called upon by the court.

A fight in the carpark at Hidies bar was reported to police in the early hours on Friday morning but when police arrived, those involved were no longer in the area. Police were told two women had been involved in a disagreement and investigations are continuing into the incident.

On April 10, a report of theft of a mobile phone at a Matavera residence was reported to police. The phone was recovered and police are making arrangements for its return to the complainant.

A fight broke out between two male persons opposite the Banana Court at around 2.10am on Saturday. The 34 and 33-year-old males involved were known to police and both were arrested for fighting in a public place.

An argument between two sisters at a hotel prompted another police callout. Police found one of the women had smashed a glass door. The pair, who were visitors to Rarotonga, agreed to cover all costs incurred to the hotel management. Police said alcohol was involved in the incident.

A report of a breach of a non-molestation order was also reported to the police involving a 41 year old male person. An investigation is pending.

Over the weekend police also received several reports about excessive noise and those involved have been visited and warned.

“We urge residents to be mindful of their neighbours,” a police spokesman said.

 

Leave a comment